Saturday 14 May 2016

Date and Ginger Loaf

This is a Donna Hay recipe I pulled out of one of the magazines I'd acquire at some point, but as per usual, I've made a few alterations to better suit my tastes.


Recipe:
3 cups (420g) fresh pitted dates, chopped I use the cheapest 500g bag I can find and use them all (minus the few I eat as I chop them).
1 cup (250ml) boiling water
2 tsp bicarb
200g butter, chopped
1½ cups (265g) brown sugar dates are sweet, so this much sugar is not needed. Half it at least. 
4 eggs
2 cups (300g) self raising flour
1½ tsp ground ginger this will not result in a ginger flavoured cake, so up the amount considerably. I think I used about ¼ cup of ground ginger and there were no complaints from the ginger-hater in the family. 


*This recipe makes heaps. I can get one brownie sized cake and one loaf out of one recipe. Prepare accordingly and consider halving the recipe to suit.
If you are making a loaf, drop the oven temperature to 160°C and be prepared to have to cook it for longer. (I forgot to time it to see how long mine took.)

Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the dates and dates in a bowl and pour the boiling water over them, dissolving the bicarb.


Allow to soak for at least 5 minutes. Ideally all the water will be absorbed.
Place the date mixture in the food processor with the butter and sugar and blend until the dates are blitzed and the mixture is well combined.






Add the eggs, flour and ginger and process until just combined. (do not over mix it).




Pour into the prepared tin


Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
Allow to cool in the tin.


Eat as it, or with a smear of butter, or lashings of cream. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...