Monday 7 September 2015

Onion Marmalade

Onion Marmalade was something I discovered a couple of years ago, however it wasn't until I was house-sitting and discovered an open jar in the fridge that I re-remembered the delightful substance.



Having polished off the remnants of the open jar I decided I needed to make my own batch or two.

My first batch was a small one, the method of which differed slightly from the one below. This recipe called for the onions to be cooked till a golden brown and caramelised before the vinegar and sugar were added. It tasted great, but I found the onions cooked so well that the long half-circles broke up, losing the strand-like appearance I was hoping for.



Ingredients:
2 kg Onions, cut into thin rings
3 cups malt vinegar
black peppercorns
3½ cups brown sugar
handful of thyme












Place the onion rings and vinegar in a pan with the peppercorns and bring to the boil.



Reduce the heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes, or until the onions are very soft



Add the sugar, thyme and a goodly pinch of salt


Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
(Add a splash of alcohol or a slice of orange zest for flavour).


Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until thick and syrupy. (I found my liquid wasn't reducing so I removed all of the liquid and started treating the onion mixture like risotto, reducing and caramelising them before adding another ladle of the vinegar sugar mixture.)


When it is caramelised enough and the onions look well cooked, spoon the mixture into sterilised jars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...